||Linux System and Network Engineer (OP-20190411-083025)
Globally recognized for its expertise in artificial intelligence, the Idiap Research Institute is located in Martigny, Switzerland. Involved in numerous research projects at the national level (SNSF, Innosuisse), international (EU, USA), as well as with numerous companies, the Institute brings together more than 120 researchers and collaborators. All of them fulfil Idiap's 3 missions: research, education and transfer of technology to stimulate entrepreneurship and to benefit society.
Responsible to provide and maintain an efficient work environment for all the Idiap collaborators, the System and Infrastructure team is looking for its next
Linux System and Network Engineer (100%)
Under the supervision of the team leader, the person in charge will have the following main missions:
• Design, install, configure and maintain virtualisation environments (KVM, docker)
• Design, install, configure and maintain various network devices and services (switches, firewall, load balancers, VPN, QoS...)
• Design, install, configure and maintain security equipment and services (authentication, access control, ...)
• Monitor performance and ensure system availability and reliability
• Provide 2nd level support (systems and network) and troubleshooting to resolve issues
• Provide expert knowledge to other colleagues and projects
We are looking for a person passionate about the Linux environment, and dreaming to bring a contribution to tomorrow's technologies in an open source environment. We need the following skills and qualifications:
• EPF/HES degree in electrical engineering or computer science (or equivalent)
• Previous experience of at least 5 years in a similar position
• Mastering Linux Debian environment
• Mastering open source virtualisation technologies (KVM/docker)
• Mastering network technologies (from hardware to services)
• Deep understanding of network protocols (TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, 802.11, QoS, VoIP, ...)
• Excellent knowledge in security engineering (Kerberos, PAM, LDAP,...)
• Creative, open-minded, and ability to work within a team
• Fluent speaking and writing in French and English with good communication skills
The following "nice to have" skills are considered a plus:
• Experience with GPU / HPC
• Experience with storage
• Experience with cloud environments
• Good programming skills (Python/php/...)
In return we offer a key role in the IT of a world-leading research institution, a wide range of exciting and interesting projects in various fields of activity.
Our Institute is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity.
Starting date: as soon as possible
Idiap is an independent, not-for-profit, research institute recognized and funded by the Swiss Federal Government, the State of Valais, and the City of Martigny.
Idiap offers competitive salaries and conditions at all levels in a young, high-quality, dynamic, and multicultural environment. Idiap is an equal opportunity employer and is actively involved in the "Advancement of Women in Science" European initiative. The Institute seeks to maintain a principle of open competition (on the basis of merit) to appoint the best candidate, provides equal opportunity for all candidates, and equally encourage both genders to apply.
Idiap is located in the town of Martigny in Valais, a scenic region in the south of Switzerland, surrounded by the highest mountains of Europe, and offering exceptional quality of life, exciting recreational activities, including hiking, climbing and skiing, as well as varied cultural activities. It is within close proximity to Lausanne and Geneva. Although Idiap is located in the French part of Switzerland, English is the official working language. Free French lessons are also provided on a complimentary basis.
For frequently asked questions (FAQs) about living in Switzerland, please go to http://www.idiap.ch/en/faq