I am a PhD student at Ecole Polytechnic Federale de Lausanne (EPFL) in Electrical Engineering (EDEE) and research assistant at Idiap Research Institute under Dr. Philip N. Garner. I am funded by SUMMA project which aims to integrate stream-based media processing tools (including speech recognition and machine translation) with deep language understanding capabilities
My research focuses on building automatic speech recognition (ASR) systems for low-resourced languages.
Speech Recognition, Machine Learning
2016: Master of Science (by Research) from Computer Science Department, Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
- 2015 September - 2015 November: Research intern in Toshiba R&D center, Japan.
- 2014 December - 2015 March: Research intern in AiSpeech, China.
- S. Tong, P.N. Garner, and H. Bourlard, "Cross-lingual adaptation of a CTC-based multilingual acoustic model", in Speech Communication, 2018.
- S. Tong, P.N. Garner, and H. Bourlard, "Fast language adaptation using phonological information", in Interspeech, 2018.
- M. Cernak and S. Tong, "Nasal speech sounds detection using connectionist temporal classification", in ICASSP, 2018.
- S. Tong, P.N. Garner, and H. Bourlard, "An investigation of deep neural networks for multilingual speech recognition training and adaptation", in Interspeech, 2017.
- S. Tong, H. Gu and K. Yu, "A comparative study of robustness of deep learning approaches for VAD", in ICASSP, 2016.
- J. Lai, B. Chen, T. Tan, S. Tong, and K. Yu, "Phone-aware LSTM-RNN for voice conversion", in ICSP, 2016.
- Y. Zhuang, S. Tong, M. Yin, Y. Qian, and K. Yu, "Multi-task joint-learning for robust voice activity detection", in ISCSLP, 2016.
- S. Tong, N. Chen, Y. Qian, and K. Yu, "Evaluating VAD for automatic speech recognition", in ICSP, 2014.